[Mgs] Fw: MGB Question

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 06:20:06 MST 2017

As I plan for my MGB engine rebuild, I have asked this group for recommendations, and I have gotten some really helpful information.  Some of it has prompted additional questions.  I hope you do not feel I am taking advantage of this really helpful service, but I do have a couple of more questions, some of them follow-ups on earlier topics.
First, a number of people have talked about using higher compression pistons.  Remember, my car has an 18GK engine, and the serial number is 243217.  It was produced in 1971 and it appears that a lot of changes were taking place at that time (US safety and emission regulations?)  Can anyone tell me where I can find higher compression pistons for this engine?  I'm thinking somewhere in the 10:1 range.
It has been suggested that I look into SU 1 3/4" carburetors, instead of the 1 1/2" carbs currently on the car.  Can anyone tell me where I can find an intake manifold for this conversion?  The identifying feature is that the 1 1/2" carbs attach to the manifold with 2 studs, while the 1 3/4" carb used 4 studs for this attachment.
Has anyone used Cometic gaskets.  I have used them on my Triumphs, and they are fantastic.  Does anyone know if they have a gasket available for the MGB?
Thanks for any help you can give me, and I welcome any additional suggestions.

Jack