[Mgs] Pertronix Flamethrower and vac advance

wkilleffer at epbfi.com wkilleffer at epbfi.com
Tue Dec 26 18:02:03 MST 2017

Hello everyone,

A few years ago, I put a Pertronix Flamethrower dizzy and matching coil on my 1974 MGB. The car has an 18GK engine and HS4 carbs without any provision for ported vacuum. At the time, I don't think I knew the difference between ported and manifold vacuum, so I ran a vac line from one of the ports on the intake manifold and down to the vac advance unit on the Flamethrower.

Since then, I've learned that those distributors are designed to use ported vacuum and not manifold vacuum. Am I getting any benefit at all from having the vac advance hooked up to the manifold? Should I disconnect it and cap the intake vacuum port. Or, should I find an HS4 carb body that's equipped with the vacuum port?

Thanks for your assistance,
-William