[Mgs] [MG-MGB] Clutch problems with thermal component

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Nov 9 09:29:10 MST 2016

"And the problem then also occurs in the initial warmup highway drive, not on the second highway leg ..."

Weird!

But then:

"depressing it restores it to maybe 40% travel after the first push and after 2-3 more pushes (standard shifting), I will be back to normal (maybe 5% free travel). "

Needing that number of presses does sound more like master pressure seal problems than the slave piston getting nudged back.  I had kind-of similar on an old master, but it could happen at any time or not at all, and how much travel I lost varied from operation to operation.  In that case it seems to have been caused by a cracked seal spreader applying pressure to one side of the seal only, and cocking it in the bore: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/cmseal.htm#1.  Replacing the seal caused no end of problems as there are different kits for the original master.

I await further investigations with interest.

  I am still driving, squeezing out the final good weather days before winter. Hopefully, I will get through today and tomorrow before I get a chance for some disassembly. ...