[Mgs] Gulp valve: how would I know that it has failed?

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:42:47 MST 2016

Backfire can also occur when the mixture is too lean: if the mixture
becomes sufficiently lean, no ignition will take place in some cycles,
leading to fuel in the exhaust.

The car has been running  lean. I have compensated by adjusting the
mixture, but realized recently that there might be an intake leak.
Some time back, the car was running rich and I leaned it out. Now the
condition of the  spark plugs and the way it drives and responds to
the choke suggest that it is lean.

Some time back, I tested the area round the throttle shaft for leaks
and did not find anything, but had forgotten to look for other
possible leaks. Of course the 3-way connector for the crankcase vent
fell apart in my hand when I decided to look at that, so that port in
the intake manifold is plugged while I wait for a replacement part. I
also plugged the port for the control input to the gulp valve.

The other two possible causes are, I think, leaking vacuum advance
unit and the gulp valve.

Simon