[Mgs] Gulp valve: how would I know that it has failed?

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Dec 13 10:00:31 MST 2016

Backfiring occurs because when you shut the throttle on the overrun the
mixture becomes rich.  Normally not much of a problem, but with the exhaust
air injection the rich mixture (without a gulp valve) combusts in the
exhaust.

Certainly when open the gulp valve does inject air into the inlet.  Normally
this is only when the throttle is closed i.e. high manifold vacuum.  If it
were stuck open all the time I think you would know about it from very poor
running, even if you had maladjusted the mixture in an attempt to compensate
for it.

Normally they stick closed, and cause backfiring.