[Mgs] Carbs still being nasty

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Dec 6 02:04:57 MST 2016

Do we know what year this car is?  Which SUs or Stromberg?

If you have the charcoal canister then it's possible for that to get choked, and there is plenty of pipe-work to get blocked and cause problems as well.

If you are talking about the float valve there should be a sprung metal pin at the bottom that the float lever bears on.  The tip was originally brass and conical going into a circular chamfered seat, later changed to Viton which is typically black or red, but still conical, see here http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/fvalve.htm#1  My manuals don't show what you describe, but Moss Europe for the HIF does seem to show the moving part of the valve upside down relative to the float, but the HS is the right way up.  It's not possible to tell from the US Moss site which way up they are in either HS or HIF.  That's not to say that someone hasn't installed a really rubbish copy.

  Well, I took an air compressor to the bottom end of the tub and couldn't get any air through the tube.

  As to the valve: the manual and I think Moss show the rubber down which hits the lever, leaving the brass to close against the valve hole at the top.