[Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 107, Issue 2

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 19:55:09 MDT 2016

Rick,

Let's start with the penetrating oil, though I don't think it's going to
help much here. The tapered area may come out clean as a whistle.
Instead of buying off the shelf, mix 50/50 ATF and acetone. It actually
works. It's THE best penetrating oil I've ever used. Then there's the
separating tool. The only thing I've found a pickle fork to be really
useful for is removing ice from your wheel wells without damaging the
undercoating. Buy a decent ball joint separating tool. It's two pieces
of steel with two screws in them. It's essentially a Jorgenson clamp
that pushes the threaded end of the ball joint into the eye. You can
exert an amazing amount of pressure and bust the thing openwithout even
damaging the boot. Leave the nut on. The first time you use it it you
will naturally be conservative with tightening it. Don't be.There's only
so far it can go if you leave the nut on. Tighten it until you think the
tool will break and then give it a few more turns. It will go off like a
small caliber pistol. Leave it on for a day if you need to. Hit the
thread with the torch. The trick with two sledges on either side of the
eye might help, too. I've had that work by itself. It WILL pop.

Glenn