[Mgs] Coil type for a 1980 MGB

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Sep 2 01:23:36 MDT 2015

My mistake, I was thinking of the coil measurement.

But you still don't need to disconnect the battery to measure the ballast resistance, in fact because of the way some ignitions are wired that would prevent you measuring it anyway, as the battery may be needed to operate an ignition relay to connect the coil feed wire to 12v.

As long as the wires are removed from the coil to stop any current flowing you can measure resistance on a wire that is carrying 12v, for the same reason that birds can sit on a 400kV power line.

  Are we on the same page?  The way I read it, it was a resistance measurement from the coil positive wire to the white or white/brown wire on the fuse box, with the ignition switch turned on, in order to find out if there was a ballast wire in the coil harness.  I wouldn't attach my ohmmeter to a hot circuit.