[Mgs] fuel pump difficulties

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Fri Oct 23 06:26:27 MDT 2015

Hi Clayton,  The pump you pictured does have a filter, on the face that has the large round gasket behind the zinc-looking casting. See the diagram D.3 in the workshop manual, item 55.   This filter will keep out chunks of rust but will not stop water, as you have found.     When everything is working right, the pump will push clean fuel, but the tank must be clean too, and I wonder if air-drying the tank as you have done will suffice.  You might dump a pint of alcohol in the tank, slosh it around, absorbing water and some dirt, then drain and dry again. If you have dry compressed air, you might try that too, then put the tank into the sun for a few days.  Water would seem to be easy to get out of a tank; it's surprisingly difficult.   Have you replaced the flexible fuel lines?  If not, consider new ones. The originals could be brittle now, and sloughing inside which will be increased by presence of fresh fuel.  If you saw little black chunks in the float bowls or passages, it is fuel line material. These lines are not under much pressure, 2.5-4.0 psi, but they are thoughtfully located over the exhaust manifold....Bob