[Mgs] tappet question

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Mon May 18 21:36:48 MDT 2015

Houston we have a problem with terminology here.
TDC and BDC refer to the position of the piston in the bore, or in the firing stroke. Period.
Piston at the exact top of its stroke?  The piston is at TDC. At the exact bottom of its stroke? BDC.
#1 at the top of its stroke on compression?  The engine is at TDC.
What you are referring to is the valve being on the lobe or the heel of the cam.
If you doubt that when #s valves 1 & 3 are on the top of the lobe that valves 6 & 8 are fully on the heel feel free to rotate the engine several degrees one way or the other and see if the gap gets bigger (it won't)
This is because a camshaft is a circle (base circle) with a bump on one side. Anywhere on the heel is going to give you the same clearance.
There are even some engines that instruct you to put the engine @ TDC #1 adjust half the valves then rotate the engine 360 degrees and then adjust the other half.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone