[Mgs] Alignment tool

John Di Fede difejo at optonline.net
Tue Jul 28 13:29:09 MDT 2015

The alignment tool is rather primitive.  Paul, the instructions do not say
to roll the car back and forth so as to measure at the same point on the
tire.   I never considered that the tire could be fatter or narrower at
certain points on the sidewalls.   I suppose that could happen if you have
raised letters or some type of raised portion of the sidewalls.   For that
matter a slightly bent wheel could through off the measurement.

The tool is just slightly better than measuring toe in using a tape measure.
Measure distance across the front of the tires and the back of the tires at
the same clock position on the tire ( 9  and 3  o'clock).  Front measurement
should be 1/16" shorter than the rear measurement.   I have set my own toe
in on the MG and other hobby cars I own.  It is a pain in the A$$ especially
when it involves centering the steering wheel.    It is all trial and error.
At times I have so much time invested that it would have been advantageous
to spend $75 at the tire shop.

John DiFede

---