[Mgs] Follow up to MGA 1600 MkII front end suspension suspense

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat Jul 18 19:25:04 MDT 2015

Clayton,  --

The bearing outer race must be a press fit in the hub to prevent
relative motion and wear.  If the bearing was loose in the hub the
outer race would "walk" (orbit) in the rotating hub causing wear in
the hub that would increase the clearance with time.  This happened
to my front hubs a few months ago, and it got so bad that I had to
repace the hubs.  If you catch this situation early enough you can
install the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing set
adheive to prevent motion of the outer race in the hub.  For future
service it may require heat to soften the adhesive to remove the
bearings from the hub.

The bearing inner race can be a slip fit on the spindle.  When the
spindle nut is tightened it pushes all of the parts tight together,
oil seal spacer, inboard bearing inner race, inner race spacer,
outboard bearing inner race, keyed flat washer, and the nut.  When
all is tight the inner bearing races cannot move on the spindle.

Barney