[Mgs] Fuel smell in boot/trunk

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Apr 18 09:30:23 MDT 2015

The MGA and MGB Jaeger gauges use a completely different method of voltage
regulation to the MGB Smiths gauges, and the system voltage can vary
significantly on both types - albeit a little less with alternators.
Effectively the earlier system uses a Wheatstone Bridge, which is where with
three known resistances you can arrange for a voltmeter to display the
resistance of a fourth unknown resistance, and this is independent of supply
voltage.  The three known resistances are in the fuel gauge (two being
magnetic coils), and the unknown is the tank sender of course.

MGB Smiths gauges use a thermal voltage stabiliser which outputs an average
of 10v over time regardless of system voltage, and thermal gauges, both
using heating coils wrapped round bi-metal strips.  Despite being called a
'stabiliser' the factory stabiliser is actually switching system voltage on
and off about once per second, once the ignition has been on for a few
seconds.  At high system voltages you get a relatively short 'on' time
compared to the 'off' time, and at low system voltage you get a longer 'on'
time, always averaging about 10v.  The tank sender simply varies the current
through the gauge heating coils.  Because the gauges are thermal they are
very slow acting which means unless you look very carefully you can't see
the pointer moving as the voltage goes on and off.