[Mgs] Fuel smell in boot/trunk

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Fri Apr 17 21:07:32 MDT 2015

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 4:32 PM, Mogrits via Mgs <mgs at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Until you get that fuel smell sorted out, I would consider removing or disabling the boot light switch. Mine, in my '72, throws sparks when it makes and breaks connection. If you park the car indoors or undercover, leaving the boot lid up is a good idea, too. I have not had this problem with my B yet, but I had it in my '88 Jaguar XJ6. Turned out the tank was rusted out. They are totally different cars though, so no connection.

Fortunately(?), the boot light switch is not an issue. After two of those switches failed in the “on” state, even with the lid closed, I stopped replacing them and just leave the circuit disconnected these days. I’d rather have no boot light than a dead battery.

I didn’t give a lot of details about my ’75 last time, as it was a bit of an aside to natter about how nice the northwest weather has been this year, even on the side of Washington that gets snow with regularity.

I replaced the tank last year because I had a sediment issue, and given the smell in the boot and how the “top of the tank” never lasted (gauge would read 3/4 within 10 miles of filling). I figured I had holes in the top of the tank and was losing fuel that way.

Now, I have a new tank, new sending unit, new pump, and new primary fuel hose connections. I still lose the “top of the tank” rapidly (guessing gauge, I just haven’t followed the direction on Barney’s website to calibrate) and still get fumes in the boot. I’ll be buying new expansion/absorption tank hoses and a new filler neck soon; I’m 90% certain it’s the neck, but rubber is cheap enough I may as well tackle all three.

> Warren (making my first post here in years and years)

Welcome back!