[Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel smells

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Thu Apr 16 10:43:25 MDT 2015

Check the filler pipe rubber connector hose first.

Late model MGBs have fuel vapor recovery
system.  This includes an expansion tank high
inside the RR fender (in the boot)  with a flex
hose between the expansion tank and the fuel
tank.  This hose appeaars to connect to the boot
floor near the filler pipe.  If this hose leak it
will spill a bit of fuel into the boot, especially just after filling the tank.

There is another connection to the expansion tank
going forward.  If this one leaks it can
contribute fuel fumes into the boot space.

The later model MGB also has flat top fuel
tank.  These tend to rust out on top like Swiss
cheese, then will spill fuel from the top surface
with the tank is filled or near full.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com