[Mgs] Returning to SU

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:26:56 MDT 2015

Hello Friends,
After watching the restoration of a TC on the show, "For the Love of Cars", I decided to switch my TD back to its SUs from the Weber DGV that I had previously installed. I installed the Weber because some PO has either switched the air chamber covers, or used covers from another car. I could never get the air dams to fall properly onto the bridge. Well, I'm trying again.
First, I found the fit to be better if I switched covers, front to rear. I also experimented with rotating the cover 180 degrees. I did all of these tests with new needles and the jet centered by eye. "What?", you say?! The idea at this stage, was not to centralize the jet but rather, to find the cover and orientation that was closest to right BEFORE centralizing the jet.
Okay. That is where I am right now. I have found the closest to correct arrangement with the jet in the center. Next step is to 'centralize' the jet and try for proper alignment. And of course, that is just the first carb. The front carb awaits in the box.
Glad to be back working on the old guy. It is, after all, only three years younger than me!
-rick, in Houston