[Mgs] Difficulty Shifting into 1st and Reverse

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Oct 21 08:43:43 MDT 2014

If it's grinding when going into reverse then it's the clutch failing to
fully disengage, which could be hydraulics or mechanical, and that should
always be the first test.

If it's grinding in reverse but in forward gears still engaging with the
pedal at the normal position off the floor, then it's mechanical inside the
bell-housing not hydraulic.  Hydraulic problems i.e. air in the system will
make it engage lower.

If it's not grinding in reverse, just stiff to engage then it is mechanical
with the gearbox.  Lift the lever boot and check the lever isn't fouling the
sides of the hole in the tunnel.  If that's clear then it's do with the
shift linkage or mechanism, unfortunately.