[Mgs] Oil filter sealing

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Mar 10 08:13:17 MDT 2014

Paul,
   Though I have seen plenty of retained seals in the cannister filter heads,
this is a challenge I have not seen before.
   Yesterday afternoon was spent by helping a friend remove 1969 MGC engine
from his GT.   He said that engine had been experiencing intermittent
overheating last summer, losing water but neither leaving puddles or making
steam out the exhaust that anyone had reported to him.  His driving season was
concluded when the engine seized.
    Stripped to bare block, the lined cylinders all had visible honing marks,
but two cylinders had a scratch. All top rings were broken. No metal in sump
or oil pump, and all bearings appeared normal.  The cause seems to be that
previous owner had replaced water pump, with a new pump that was not well
cast, and had had to be modified to fit the engine. Not marked with a brand
name, it had large clearance between impellor and housing, and the output
passage appeared restricted.   We are hoping that he finds no further damage.
Bob