[Mgs] OT - F1

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 06:45:22 MST 2014

Hello Friends,

Just a short note to champion the start of the upcoming 2014 Formula 1 season. Pre-season testing has begun and the results (and cars) are interesting. This year we see a new formula and new rules.

F1 engines for 2014 are down from the historical V12, V10 and V8 designs to a rev-limited tri-turbo 1.6 liter V6! No one, that I have read, is commenting on the engine note but I'm sure its very different. Rather, all emphasis seems to be on the shape of the cars' noses. New rules in the formula specify the height of the nose, but not the shape. So as one might imagine, there are a lot of different designs - all within the formula while still trying for the best aerodynamic shape.

A few seasons ago the FIA eleminated refueling during the race. This year they have further restricted the amount of fuel that can be used. I fear that drivers will be forced to drive for fuel economy, just as they have had to conserve those crappy Pirelli tires, rather than race full-out. I know its just my opinion but I'd rather see tire and fuel management be the concern of the race engineers, leaving the drivers to just drive their races. But you know what opinions are like...

Erik, are you working communications again in Melbourne? I'd love to be back with you working again this year but alas, retirement has fixed my income. In fact, I haven't worked an F1 race since the US F1 GP races at Indy. That's kinda sad, especially since its just laziness on my part. Still, we both know that when you work a race you don't get to watch the race.

That's it for this morning. Its been a little too cold to do much in the garage. I've been content to reupholster the dining room chairs. That too is a little sad. :-P

Regards,

-rick