[Mgs] Goofy request

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:14:27 MDT 2014

Hi Friends,

This is a goofy request for perhaps the strangest reason to date! Please read on. Thanks.

My '73 Volvo 1800ES is a quirky 2-door sport wagon. Being a product of the early 70s, it has bumpers big enough to fit a river ferry! They're dreadful and destroy the lines of an otherwise graceful design.

On a lark, I tried something silly. I took the new front bumper blade from my '53 TD and held it up to the rear of the Volvo. It fit beautifully! Small, elegant and easy to mount. It's an incorrect solution to an ugly problem but as long as the original boat bumper stays with the car, in storage, all is good.

Now for the other end; Like many cars, including the TD, the Volvo body work is a little wider in the front, than in the rear. The track is the same just a wider body contour. And that difference makes the TD bumper a little too short for the Volvo front. Therefore, I need a slightly wider bumper blade of similar shape. Any suggestions? The MGA bumpers have a different profile but what about chrome bumper Bs? Are they a simple blade? If so, can someone measure the overall length for me please? Thanks.

-rick