[Mgs] cruise control

Monte Jane Morris montejane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:12:55 MDT 2014

Years back when I rebuilt the carbs, I forgot that I had installed solid
butterflies without the poppet valves.So that isn't the problem.

After taking off the air cleaners and starting the car (still idleing
between 2-3000rpm), I see that the front HIF carb piston is probably 1/4
inch higher than the rear. After taking off the carbs while preserving the
linkage settings, the butterfly of the front carb is open a little.  I
adjusted the idle screw to where the butterfly was completely closed.
Should this remedy my very high idle problem? The lock nut on the idle
screw was loose. The screw must have dropped down while under acceleration
(I was highway driving when this happened) thus opening the butterfly more.

Shouldn't both butterflies be completely closed, equally, when idleing or
does syncronizing the carbs cause one butterfly to be seated differently
than the other?

Monte
79B, desmogged, HIF's, points