[Mgs] points

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Thu May 9 10:53:46 MDT 2013

Youi need a test light.  Very cheap tool.  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts129.htm

The contact points are switching the coil wire to ground.  With
ignition on, when points are open there will be power on the wire
from coil to distributor.  When points are closed the wire is
grounded and will have no power, 0-volts, no light.

Alternately, you can disconnect the wire from coil to distributor,
connect the test light to a live power source (lower fuse for
instance), and touich the ptobe to the distributor terminal.  When
points are closed it complets the circuit to ground, and youie get light.

You can also test points with an ohm meter connected between the
distributor input terminal and ground on the engine block.  With
points open it will read 50-megaohms (open circuit).  With points
closed it should read 0-ohms (short to ground).  Resistance with
points closed should never be higher tham 1/4-ohm
(250-milliohms).  If resistance is too high you need to clean the
contact points or fix a faulty connection.  It couid be corroded
points, or a dirty wire connector, or bad contact between distributor
body and engine block.