[Mgs] Rusty thermostat

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Thu Jun 13 15:43:18 MDT 2013

  Try soaking in Citric Acid solution.  Powdered citric acid is used when
canning low-acid tomatoes, and it's in the Ball-jar section of TruVal hardware
stores, probably in the grocery store too.  I used it to remove some light
rust accumulation of TD bolts.  CocaCola would be a milder acid.   Stronger
acid is Muriatic Acid. It's in the swimming pool section of hardware stores.
The trick is to eat away the rust w/o eating away the brass and copper.  In a
recent issue of Totally T Type was an article by a guy who used it to clean
the rust from the block of an MG, and he said that he planned to use a weaker
solution in his radiator.  He must know a lot more about Chemistry than I
do.....  I found the citric acid to work on the rust of TD bolts, but muriatic
worked so much faster that it's what I have been using recently.Bob