[Mgs] Baby steps

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 09:24:52 MDT 2013

Hi Friends,

With the heat and humidity as high as it is now, garage work is done
in baby steps; A few minutes work, a few minutes cooling and
re-hydrating.  Such was the process this morning.  Here is a
mini-update.

First of all, I rotated the car on the casters so I could get access
to the right front wheel.  It was the only remaining wheel to come
off.  After removal, I put the jack stands, on the casters, supporting
the front of the frame.  Here's how it sat.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1339.JPG

Yes, I know the jack stands on the casters looks perilous but thanks
to the diamond pattern on the casters, the stands don't move.  Trust
me, I yanked, pulled, shoved and cursed and they did not budge a
millimeter!  That said, I still do not get UNDER the frame.  I'm
taking all five wheels to the shop today to get the tires removed in
preparation for media blasting and refinishing the wheels.

The next step was to remove the steering shaft/column but to get to
it, it appeared much easier with the generator removed.  So that's
what I did.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1340.JPG

Here's an out of focus look at the coupling partially disassembled.  I
have new rubber inserts but am going to have to buy new bolts.  The
bolt shafts behind the threads, are rusted badly and I just don't
trust reusing the old bolts.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1341.JPG

New bolts alone, from Moss are $40, but the whole coupling kit is $49
so I'll probably just buy the kit.

I next scraped a lot of the grease and dirt away from the transmission
and bell housing, then removed the bolts holding the rear of the
gearbox to the frame.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1342.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1343.JPG

You may have noticed that a couple of the bolts are missing from the
remote control cover.  I took all four bolts out but the assembly
wouldn't come free.  As I read the workshop manual, the cover should
disconnect from the gearbox easily by just lifting away.  It didn't so
I put a couple of screws back in and I'm going back to the manual.
This is a late TD so there should be no threat of the little balls
falling down into the box.  Still, I now go read.  Your advice would
also be appreciated.

-rick