[Mgs] new muffler

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Sep 17 08:15:58 MDT 2012

In my experience changing the breathing i.e. air filters and exhaust will
affect mixture *through the throttle range* i.e. you may well get it spot on
at idle but with a freer flowing engine find that you get flat spots at a
wider throttle opening, I had to go for 'richer' needles on my V8 with these
two things modified (by a PO I hasten to add).  The corollary of that is
with a more restrictive setup it could get richer through the range, but
should still be easy to set up correctly for idle.  At idle (and by
implication starting) changing the restriction of intake and exhaust has
negligible effect, unless there is a massive vacuum leak in the intake or
severely choked exhaust.  Hard starting when cold could be over-rich if the
weather is very warm, or not rich enough if it is cold.  Hard starting from
hot is usually over rich.  In both cases that's if mixture *is* the problem,
there can be other reasons of course.  What is your ambient temp currently,
do you use the choke, and how much?  If it's warm, and you habitually pull
the choke out fully to start with a 'cold' engine, try pulling it half way.
After checking/adjusting the mixture with the lifting pins (or whatever)
first of course.  If you are confident they are balanced, then only adjust
both carbs by the same amount in the same direction.  If you find the
lifting pins give different results for the two carbs then they will have to
be set up from scratch.

The carbs are synch'd and run well, but are a bit hard to get started. I do
get about 25mpg (US). So I believe it's pretty close. But I just think that
I could get it to start a little easier.