[Mgs] Torn gaiter

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Wed Sep 5 16:45:37 MDT 2012

Simon,

One does not pump more oil in at every service on the
car.  Lubrication instructions vary, but always at 12,000 mile interval.
         The Workshop Manual calls for 15 strokes gear in the rack
housing, and 5 strokes oil in the pinion shaft Zerk.  I will
"estimate" (guess) that would be about 1 fluid ounce. ounce.
         A Lube Chart for MGA, published by Morris Motors Ltd, echoes
the Workshop Manual.
         The Workshop Manual for MGA Twin Cam calls for 10 strokes
gear in the rack housing, and 2 strokes oil only in the pinion shaft Zerk.
         A Lube Chart for the MGA Twin Cam, printed by The Nuffield
Press Ltd, calls for 10 strokes in the rack and 2 strokes only on the
pinion shaft.  The chart says "approved by the manufacturers".

If you follow these directions regularly, then in 70,000 to 100,000
miles or so you might add as much oil as the original 6 ounce fill
amount.  The factory apparently considered this to be
acceptable.  Either they expected some to leak out, or they thought
that double the amount of original minimal fill was okay (or maybe
both).  I suppose in 100,000 miles the rubber boots were expected to
fail (and be replaced if the car was still on the road), in which
case the oil would be lost and you start over with the minimal 6 ounce fill.

I almost never lube the steering rack after the initial 6 ounce
fill.  If it gurgles when moved from lock to lock I figure it has
enough oil inside, so leave well enough alone.  So far it has not
failed in 400,000 miles, although it has had the boots replaced a
couple of times and needed to be refilled.  I also adjusted clearance
of the inner ball joints once at about 300,000 miles.

Barney