[Mgs] Torn gaiter

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Tue Sep 4 14:57:45 MDT 2012

I've never understood how a pool of oil at the bottom of the gaiter is
supposed to lubricate the rack.

The specified procedure is to jack the front wheels off the ground, remove
the pinion cover and add oil slowly while moving the rack left to right and
back. The clearances inside the rack are very tight, so this is a slow
drop-by-drop process. But at least it gets oil on the wearing surfaces.

As for your rack, if it feels tight, it's not worn. If it feels sloppy, it
could be worn, or it could be some other front end component. To test the
rack specifically, remove the thinnest shim from under the pinion cover. If
the rack seems tighter near the center of the travel, but binds up near the
extremes, it is worn -- the wear is typically concentrated near the center.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149