[Mgs] slipping cluch

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Thu Oct 25 20:06:07 MDT 2012

Low brake fluid will not cause slippage.  There is no way for fluid
to get from a leaky slave cylinder into the clutch friction disc
space inside the bellhousing.  If fluid in the master cylinder goes
low enough to introduce air in the pipe, then the clutch will not release.

Worn out friction disc can cause slipping.  Oil on the friction disc
can cause slipping.  Oil can come from leaking engine rear scroll
seal or from leaking gearbox front scroll seal (or rubber seal on
later models).  Since the gearbox uses engine oil, and it drips from
the same point on bottom of bellhousing, it may be difficult to tell
where the oil originates (unless you use different color oil in the gearbox).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com