[Mgs] Re.: MGB Engine and gearbox reinstallation

Norm twobees at sprynet.com
Thu Oct 4 14:02:23 MDT 2012

Paul,

I recommend that you install the gearbox first.  Then lift the nose of the
trans as high as possible.  Tie it to a handy bolt with wire or short piece
of rope, and then install the engine.

I did that many times with my MGB.  After installing the race engine and
having problems with the throwout bearing, I had the engine in & out 5 times
in one year.  I never had a problem aligning the input shaft and clutch disc
splines because I always used the spline tool when bolting up the pressure
plate.  Longest it ever took to slide engine back over input shaft was maybe
2 or 3 minutes.  Most often it was a matter of seconds.

I got to the point where I could remove & replace the engine myself in less
than 5 hours.  I did have an electric chain hoist however.  I did the same
R&R with my Spridget engine with a hydraulic hoist a number of times.
Equally as easy.

If you install as combo unit (engine & trans), I believe you have to lift
the car up to allow tailshaft to clear.  Why do that if all you have to do
is let the car sit on the ground?

Norm