[Mgs] Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

frankk12 at verizon.net frankk12 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 17 09:19:44 MDT 2012

I need to replace the ignition switch on my 1980 MGB LE and would like some
advice from anyone who has made this change. The prices vary from Moss (part
#263-640 for $129.95) to LBC ($110.95) to Northwest Import Parts (part #BHM
7143 for $119). Moss indicates that you need to alter your harness to fit
theirs if I read their catalogue correctly while Northwest indicates theirs is
an exact fit like the original.  I assume the LBC  switch comes from Moss and
would also require alteration of the harness.  I would appreciate hearing from
anyone who installed this switch from any of these vendors.
The reason for replacement is that the original one in my car has been giving
me issues for some time and almost stranded me last Sunday.  The key becomes
difficult to turn on or off despite my frequent application of lube and
graphite.
The MGOC has the best price but they informed me that their switch fits RHD
drive cars only. I find it odd that Leyland made a different switch for RHD
and LHD cars.
Thanks in advance.
Frank Krajewski