[Mgs] Rear Leaf Supplier Spring Recommendation

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Aug 6 07:31:45 MDT 2012

  My experience was a variation of Don's.
  Installed new rear springs for '72 GT, and rear was way too high. Went to a
spring company, where owner said problem was front springs being low.
Installed new front springs and it was much better, but still about two inches
high at the rear. Back to the spring shop--they do not re-arch or de-arch
springs this small.  Went to another spring shop, and learned that they do not
work on, or make, small springs either. Their suggestion was to remove the
second leaf (the 10-12 inch one) and that the car would eventually settle to
level.
  It is almost level now. Despite the hassles involved, the exercise was
worthwhile. The GT rides and handles much better than before. Though stiffer
and the motion is quicker, the ride is more comfortable.  The exhaust system
is intact too.
   Removal of the leaf required finding new spring bolts.  An article in MGB
Driver in recent past suggested moving the unwanted leaf from original
location to the top, where it is not supporting weight. That would still raise
the car by the height of thickness of the spring (3/16 or so). If ride height
is acceptable, that would save buying spring bolts.

Bob
'72 GT
'53 TD, with fine, original springs