[Mgs] mgb engine mounting

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 11:11:28 MDT 2011

> That seems remarkably sensitive.
>
> On the 2006 California Melee, I was on a narrow barely-paved road snaking up
> a valley through the woods. It was just left, right, left, right, in 2nd or
> 3rd gear, popping in and out of deep shade, so I didn't even see the dry
> ford -- this was about a 12-inch drop with maybe a 30-degree bevel, and I
> flew over it, bottomed out, crossed the ford and hit the up-slope with the
> suspension fully compressed without even slackening speed. This didn't
> manage to shift the fan into the radiator, so I find it difficult to
> conceive of a survivable hazard that would do so (short of an actual
> impact).
>
> I wonder if the condition of the tranny mounts is also a factor. I have
> noticed that over time these sometimes decay to the consistency of jelly.

Max,

Everything you are describing about your drive is, for the most part, up
and down movement. What we are talking about with the engine restraints
is fore and aft. And the condition of the transmission mounts, oddly,
includes the restraint equipment installed by the factory. They knew
that rubber mounts alone would not inhibit damage in the event of a
front ender. That's why they put them there.

The word 'survivable' is subject to circumstance. I rear-ended a Buick
years ago in my '74 B. He was dead stopped and I was traveling about 35
to 40 mph. The car between us had swerved out at his last second and
left me with no time to stop. I walked away from it but the car didn't,
partly due to the damage to the rack, pulley and possible bent
crankshaft. If it was just body damage the insurance might have covered
the damage. The car was missing one part. Guess which one it was.

Glenn