[Mgs] mgb engine mounting

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Wed Oct 12 23:05:09 MDT 2011

23 years is a long time to go without an accident if you drive like I
do. :^)

I don't know how "original specific" you're intending the build to be,
but even if your research tells you that the 'control brackets' are
correct and the engine restraint rod isn't, I'd recommend the restraint
rod. The purpose of the plates was to prevent the engine from moving
towards the front end of the car in the event of a front end collision.
I just put a couple of them back into a customer's car without the rod
and I can't see how they would do the job as effectively as the rod.
Mind you, (and I've had this happen to me on a '74 car) that more than
just keeping the fan blades from trashing the radiator, the restraint
also keeps the crankshaft pulley from hitting the steering rack and
possibly bending it, and, as it's the lower half of the pulley that
hits, prevents possible bending damage to the crankshaft itself as well
as cracking the pulley. Given the choice, I'd go with both for economy's
sake in the event of a collision. Originality is one thing, safety is
another. Neither of these is going to save your life, but the difference
between a busted up radiator and a bent crank and steering rack and
busted pulley might make the call on whether to save the car after a
collision. I can't imagine a concourse judge even looking at the car
from an angle where he could see the rod and the peace of mind would
allow driving the car more which is what the car wants anyway, isn't it?

Moss calls it a recoil bracket and it's p/n 413-075. $15 x 2. They call
the restraint rod a stayrod and it's p/n 413-130. look it up on their
website and they will show you all of what you need. There's other bits
to it. It goes between the crossmember and an eye cast into the body of
the transmission.

Glenn