[Mgs] MG6 Review

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat Mar 26 23:32:46 MST 2011

Why not Sat Nav?  I can answer that question.  I hate Sat Navs in
every car too, along with LOTS of other unnecessary gadgets that make
new cars too complex, expensive, and difficult to maintain.  Sat Navs
in particular are subject to regular technological updates like cell
phones.  Even if they never break down you may want to replace them
periodically, and that's hard to do when it's part of the dashboard
in the car.  That device should be a strictly optional accessory that
can be installed or removed or moved from one car to another as
easily as a cell phone (assuming someone thought they actually wanted
one in the car).  I have a really nice rally computer that I use a
lot, but I wouldn't build that into the dash either.

One of my favorite past times is to walk into a new car dealer and
ask, "What car do you offer that has only the minimal legally
required equipment to be allowed on the road"?  (Smart Car,
maybe).  You might be looking for a 2-wheel drive Jeep or a bottom of
the line compact pick up truck with rubber floor mats and manual
window winders (if there was such a thing any more).  I will park my
MGA in front of the showroom window, point to it and ask, "How close
can you get to that in a new model"?  Then wait while all the sales
people roll on the floor laughing.

The thing that impressed me most about the MG6 report was that the
reporter spent most of the page space chatting about exterior
styling, interior styling, accessories (".. even in its basic form,
its a very loaded car"), Sat Nav, cruise control, entertainment
system, on-board computer, and "rear parking aid" (which it probably
needs when you can't see low down out the back window), electrically
adjusted and heated seats, boot space, rear bumper, and a maximim
speed limiter.  It was already on to page 4 of 4 talking about key
fob and push to start before it finally has a half page about how it
drives. Then it promptly gets back to talking about mass market,
dulled down, not quite up to MG expectations.  I was surprised they
didn't mention how many air bags or cup holders, or the fact that it
will likely never get to the North American market, but then I
suppose the article wasn't written for us yanks.

Barney (stuck inthe 50's) Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and nothing that is not required to make
it go down the road).
http://MGAguru.com