[Mgs] front end diagnosis

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 23:02:48 MST 2011

The clunking noises may or may not be related. But take care of the
shock bolts first. That's bad.

As was said, the front shock is part of the overall geometry of the
front end design. As designed it is a very solid system with a few
recognized weaknesses. If you read the owners manual it mentions
tightening the shock holding bolts every quarter or half year. I have
done this and found that even with good lock washers they will loosen
about a half to three quarters of a turn in that time. Tightening them
up will reduce play in the system noticeably. They wouldn't have
mentioned it in the manual if they didn't have a reason. They really
want to be at torque value and if you only have one bolt, it's trying to
do the job of two.

You said "must have the nut stripped and won't hold a bolt." It's not a
nut. It's tapped into the plate that the shock sits on. If you have the
capability to deal with a Helicoil type restoration of the threads that
have been stripped out you should do so. If not, a local machine shop,
garage or fellow club member (you do belong to a club don't you? If you
don't, there's one in your area.) will probably be able to help you out.
Restore the threads and tighten all four shock bolts down to specified
torque. I think it's around 50 pounds but I could be off by 10 in either
direction - my books are asleep with my wife in the other room and I'm
not going to wake her up.

If the clunk is still there, then you do have other problems, but you've
just taken care of one of the worst of them.

Check your shock. Is one of the shock arms damp? Then the oil has been
seeping out and you're slowly going dry. Check the level. Remove the
bolt at the top of the unit *AFTER* cleaning it off well. It's the fill
plug. If oil drips out at the bottom of the hole you should be okay. If
not, refill with hydraulic oil of any kind. Racers and picky people
specify certain types and weights. Just get some oil in there and be
sure it's hydraulic.

Your car should handle much better after this. If not, you can invest in
a pair (don't just buy one) of rebuilt shocks (not terribly expensive
after core charge) or replace with gas shocks (a little more expensive,
but *I* don't think they handle as well as the originals [Nomex alert.
If you want to comment on that, start anther thread]).

If you still have a clunk, make sure your crossmember bolts are tight
against the frame (and the rubber pads aren't eaten by years and oil)
and your kingpins are in shape. A cleverly placed long-handled prybar
will help diagnose this. Again, refer to a local garage if need be.

You don't need to dismantle your entire front end to get to the problem.
You can do it one piece at a time and in your backyard or garage. Get
both the Bentley book and the Haynes manual if you don't have them. The
car will teach you what it needs if you have those books and an
analytical mind and want to learn. Fun, isn't it?

Glenn