[Mgs] Syntec 20W 50

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 22 16:10:43 MDT 2011

Yes, I've heard this "tight tolerances" story before, but I wonder how much
of it is true? The same laws of thermodynamics apply to engines old and
new... iron, steel and aluminum behave the same... wear affects both
similarly.

Main bearing clearances, for example -- are they that much smaller on a new
economy car, compared to a 60s or 70s car? I actually doubt it. The
molecular properties of oil have not changed.

The things that really have improved are ring sealing and cylinder wall oil
control, both for emissions reasons. But this is unrelated to oil pressure
or viscosity. Most changes in engine design have been driven by either
emissions or friction reduction -- neither of these logically lead to
particularly tight bearing tolerances.

If you really had to adjust your oil viscosity proportional to bearing
clearances, new engines would use one weight, and you'd have to
progressively change to heavier oils as you accumulated mileage. Does anyone
actually do that (other than the extreme case of a high-mile engine with
chronic low oil pressure)?

I won't dispute your final sentence, as a general statement. But I suspect
there is a tendency for drivers in temperate climates to habitually use a
heavier grade than necessary. Just heavy enough is good; heavier than that
is a power and mileage robber.

I should acknowledge one more argument: that 20W50 is what the factory
specified at the time. My answer to that is that this was the highest
quality oil that was then available. Since then the specification has been
upgraded half-a-dozen times, albeit with some unfortunate repercussions
(ZDDP reduction, specifically).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149