[Mgs] Syntec 20W 50

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Wed Jun 22 15:27:26 MDT 2011

Max,

The way it was explained to me is modern cars are built to very tight
tolerances.  A very thin oil pressurizes the oil system just fine,
and a metered amount flows though into each place oil is supposed to
be.  And the theory is, an old car, built with looser tolerances, and
perhaps showing some wear, needs a thicker oil to do the same
thing.  It's like pumping water into a vertical perforated pipe
(sealed, except for the perforations).  With big perforations, all
the water will come out of the bottom few holes.  Small perforations
will allow water to flow out of all of the holes.  Replace the water
with molasses and the large holes will all see some flow.  Try that
with the small holes and very little molasses will come out, though
the pressure inside will be high. Therefore, different engines need
different viscosity oils.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net