[Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:59:49 MDT 2011

Yes, mine is the inverted, spin on type. I hate it. Makes a big mess when
changing. And the threads are very soft aluminum, easy to cross-thread/strip.
I did that 6-7 years ago.
The one I have now isn't too bad, but I never seem to get it tight the first
time. I double checked, but the gasket coming out did me in this time.

Sitting for a year in the Minnesota cold garage may have compromised the
integrity of the gasket.

On Jul 27, 2011, at 4:27 PM, mgbob at juno.com wrote:

> Paul,
>  Your engine should be fitted with the spin-on filter. It is inverted, not
hanging, but the spin-on type works well. I have not heard before of the
gasket problem you mention.
>  The filter is not a cannister type, with a bolt running through it, is it?
Though their brackets will fit all engines, and were used on engines for a
couple of years, the inverted cannister filters are far from ideal. They have
gasket issues and, worse, about a pint of oil must be pumped up into the
filter before the bearings are supplied with any.