[Mgs] Seat Belts

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 16:39:38 MDT 2011

> From: Don<don at napanet.net>
> To:mgs at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Mgs] Seat Belts
>
> As an American, I apologize.  I think many Americans have descended
> into being conservative extremist selfish macho warriors.  One of the
> reasons I liked MGs, decades ago and now, was that the hobby seemed
> to attract more sophisticated people than were found in the muscle
> car or hot rod segments of the hobby.  The typical MG owner used to
> be a pipe-smoking college professor who was a liberal and a world
> traveller, more of a thinking person.  This is a generalization, but
> it used to be applicable to a great extent, as most British sports
> car guys were more educated, had professional jobs, were not knuckle
> dragger types.  Maybe that is being too stereotypical.

By half. My, but we are full of ourselves, aren't we? What have you got
in that pipe?

As an American, I don't apologize for anything. If it wasn't for us the
world would be in much sadder shape today - politics, technology,
economics, society, ecology; take your pick of issues. Our short history
has improved the world immensely. I stand by that.

I suggest that if it wasn't for our markets, the British auto industry
would probably have collapsed much sooner than it did and what marques
are left would be gone and not just owned by the Chinese or Indians.
There's the obligatory MG content and that's open to a new thread. And
it's the knuckle draggers that are keeping the vintage car industry
alive. Someone has to restore and maintain them and it's difficult to do
with a pipe in your mouth and your finger up.

Glenn