[Mgs] dashpots or ??

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Mon Feb 14 18:41:24 MST 2011

WD40 is volatile and flamable, and  does make a good starting
fluid.  A few years ago John Twist spritzed a bit of WD40 into my MGA
air cleaners to get is started when temperature was around 10dF.

My 2nd generation RX7 has a sub-zero staqrting system that uses a
90/10 solution of ethelyene-glycol and water (premanent
antifreeze).  When temperature is below 0dF it will squirt about a
tablespoon of the stuff into the intake manuifold, and it starts
right up.  In a pinch, even DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluuid can be used as
a starting fluid.  Of course gasoline can also be used as a starting
fluid, just a matter of priming the intake before cranking.

The issue with cold weather starting with SU carburetors is that
there is no accellerator pump, so they need several seconds of
cranking with full choke before it gets enough fuel for very cold
weaather starting.  If the battery goes low and cranking gets slow
before it fires up, you're stuffed.  Priming before cranking can make
a big difference.  (This does not explain why a car won't start in
warm weather).