[Mgs] 1970 MGB alternator

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:18:42 MST 2011

Police-spec MGB had higher output dynamos.  They got an alternator with
separate control box in 1964, but the remainder didn't get one until the Mk2
in 67, which was the 16AC with separate control unit.  There was then the
16ACR with integral control unit, then the 17ACR and the 18ACR at further
change points.  There were variants over time within each of these, for
example three different 16ACR and two different 17ACR.  There is no
information in Clausager about alternatives for different uses and
conditions.  An alternator would be used on many applications, and there
would be many different alternators for specific applications with detail
differences.  I have a Mini Metro alternator that fits my MGB, with a slight
adjustment of the rear bracket, so I keep it as a spare for long journeys
even though the pulley is a different size which gives a lower output at a
given rpm, but will still get me home.