[Mgs] 1970 MGB alternator

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:28:28 MST 2011

I would think the alternator(s) would have a model number on it somewhere. I
would normally think there would only be one standard alternator for the late
60s - early 70s. But I faced a similar problem with my 64 B's generator.,
having to adjust the brackets. The generator that came with the car was
slightly larger and had a different number on it which, through the Internet,
led me to find that it was a C40L generator (as opposed to a C40 perhaps). I
also found a website that stated that the C40L generator was an upgrade
offered for cars used in cold weather climates, with a somewhat higher output.
So perhaps this is a similar situation with alternators?

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B