[Mgs] Fuses

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 04:25:48 MDT 2010

This was answered right at the very beginning - amps is amps and is
dependant on the actual voltage and resistance (i.e. Ohm's Law) in a
circuit.  A fuse has a resistance (albeit very small) of its own, current
flowing through it causes a voltage to be dropped across it and hence watts
in the form of heating power developed in it.  When the heating effect
exceeds the melting point of the fuse wire it melts and breaks the circuit.
A fuse designed to blow at 35 amps is going to do so regardless of whether
the voltage in the circuit is 1.2v, 12v, 120v or 1200v.  What happens
*after* the fuse blows does depend on the maximum voltage rating of the fuse
and the voltage in the circuit, but that can be ignored for factory fuses in
a factory circuit on an MGB, even if those fuses *are* only rated for use up
to 32v.  For a start it's only 12v, and secondly it would take a couple of
thousand volts and an inductive load to jump something the length of a blown
MGB fuse.