[Mgs] Air Cleaners

riverside riverside at southslope.net
Wed May 26 21:42:53 MDT 2010

Has anyone had any experiance with the airflow charictaristics of the K&N
tapered air filters
used on the dual SU changeover on late model B's ?  They seem to be the only
after market filters
avalible with the clearances needed for this set-up.  The  filter  is only
about an inch and a quarter
thick and  the outer cover is about half the size of the base. The airflow
thru the filter is almost
straight into the carb throat. I am sure that a (very) short venturi would
help. However, for clearance purposes,
one base has the mounting and air hole offset to the limit to the bottom of
the base. The inside edge of the filter
is at the edge of the air hole and because of the filter taper and thickness
and mounting there is no room
for a venturi.  The car runs fine with no filters on but has a "search"
atitude at highway speed with the
filters in place. Partial taping of the filter area to change the airflow
seems to cure this.
I know this sounds like a mixture/ needle problem but I have not been able
to address this yet as I have a
new distribitor to install first. No, I don't think it is ignition related,
just looking for experiances with these
filters.

Ron Sanborn
67,72,74 MGBGTs