[Mgs] More NJVGP news: clutch advice needed

J. F. Juhas james.f.juhas at snet.net
Mon May 24 07:04:55 MDT 2010

Rick:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have already followed most of your
advice.  This Kevlar clutch was new and installed with a new PP last
September after the previous clutch failed at the end of the LRP Vintage
Festival.  Since then I raced in two and one half events with seemingly
no issues.  The half was a shortened LRP Spring Sprints (VSCCA) when I
broke a lifter.  But before that, I was turning some of my best-ever
times at LRP at 1:15.

I seem to be having more clutch trouble with this current 1622 engine,
where previously, I was running a 1500.  Maybe the rear bearing
clearances are looser.

I was suspicious of the gearbox seal and the gasket; last time it got a
new seal and carefully glued-in gasket. I'm not getting and noticeable
gearbox fluid loss so I think that's not a contributor to this.

I have not refaced the flywheel; didn't have time to do that last Fall,
but will now.  I had not done the thread sealing idea on the bolts; I'll
do that this time.  Depending on turnaround, I may install a ceramic
clutch and pp that will be rebuilt from cores.  I have less than a
2-week turnaround before my next scheduled event.