[Mgs] + or - Ground?

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Wed May 5 09:24:28 MDT 2010

Assuming you have not disturbed the battery connectors too much, this
is an easy solution.  The Positive battery post is larger than the
Negative post.  If you install it backward one connector will be very
loose and the other will not fit on the post.  In that case just turn
the battery around and the connectors should fit properly.

I wouldn't rely on the coil wires having been previously correct if
you are not absolutely certain.  In proper form the coil "+ or "CB"
terminal should be connected to battery "+", and the coil "-" or "SW"
terminal should be connected to battery "-".  For positive earth the
distributor and engine block are "+" and the ignition supply wire is
"-".  For negative earth the distributor and engine block are "-" and
the ignition supply wire is "+".

If you are still not sure about the original configuration, you can
install it or change it to whatever you prefer.  Once the battery is
installed you need to polarize the generator, very simple.  Connect a
jumper wire to the hot battery wire and touch it momentarily to the
field terminal "F" on the generator.  Then connect the coil primary
wires to proper termainals as noted above.  For the original MGA and
early MGB nothing else in the vehicle is polarity sensitive (except
an accessory radio).

Some aftermarket or upgrade parts may be polarity sensitive.  Check
polarity requirement for a radio, electriconic fuel pump or points
type pump with a diode, electronic ignition module, or anything else
electronic that may have been installed in the car.  If the car has
an alternator it almost certainly needs to be negative ground (about
99.99% certain).  A very early production alternator being positive
ground is extremely rare, but could happen.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com