[Mgs] clutch slave cylinder struggle

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:26:48 MST 2010

Steven Trovato wrote:
> The other strategy is to use a grease gun to force grease into the
> cylinder.  A grease gun can actually generate considerable pressure.
> Also, if you are successful, the piston does not fire across the
> garage, which can happen with air pressure.  Of course, if the
> cylinder is that frozen, what are the chances that the cylinder walls
> will be good enough to rebuild?  Then you have to find another core,
> or have it sleeved in brass or stainless.  That probably isn't really
> worth doing for a part that is available from the usual suspects.
> Good luck.
I took a Mini hub to the machine shop with the bearing and axle seized. They heated it and applied hydraulic force to it, literally many thousands of pounds. They called and said, "Please take this away before we kill somebody." I brought it home, still seized, and stuck it in a vise outdoors and liberally applied Liquid Wrench and left it there.

The next afternoon, I went to take it out of the vise and the axle and bearing fell out and very nearly hit my foot.

-Rocky Frisco