[Mgs] MGA clutch cylinder

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Wed Dec 22 23:02:55 MST 2010

Which "clutch plunger"?    Master or slave cylinder?

If the master cylinder piston sticks in the depressed position, use
air pressure to return it.  Cycle it as many times as is required to
get it to return freely with spring force only.  This should have
been done on the bench before installation.

The slave cylinder generally cannot stick in the extended position,
because of about 200 pounds of return force on the slave pushrod from
the pressure plate.  If it does not fully release after a few
strokes, it is because the master cylinder is retaining
pressure.  That would usually be from master pushrod with preload and
no clearance at rest.  If the slave does not advance, you have air in
the circuit that beeds bleeding.

Bleeding the MG cluch circuit can be a bit tricky, but always
succeeds when you understand how it works.  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/hydraulics/ht106.htm