[Mgs] Front Wheel bearings 70B

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 05:14:42 MDT 2010

Was it the rollers or the inner ring they run on that was marked?  If the
latter it could have been because the inner ring was spinning on the axle
shaft, but then the nut would have been loose when the split-pin was
removed.  Insufficient shims causing lack of free play or end-float would
affect both bearings in the set equally.

There should have been a series of shims between the spacer and the outer
bearing.  A thick one of 30 thou, then a series of thinner ones at 3, 5 and
10 thou which set the gap.  Reassemble dry (easier to judge when there is
end-float or not) and don't fit the oil seal, with no shims tighten the nut
to 40 ft lb or until they start to bind to seat the bearings in the hub,
then start setting the shims.  By juggling combinations 3, 5 and 10 thou you
can get pretty much any thickness in one thou steps from 8 thou up, and you
should need more than that.  What you are looking for is one set that gives
just perceptible play, and another set one thou smaller that doesn't.  The
lower set plus a 3 thou will give you the correct 2 to 4 thou end-float.
The shims are not marked, but by using one shim to bend another one you can
tell which is which.

When you have the right combination remove the races and pack them by
pressing grease in from one side only until it oozes out the other end of
the rollers. Patience is required, don't be tempted to speed things up by
pressing it in from both sides or you will trap air and have insufficient
grease.  The smaller outer bearing is more important, centrifugal force
tends to throw grease into the larger inner bearing.  With the races
replaced fit the oil seal, groove and lip facing the bearing, lip greased,
with the groove packed with grease.  Don't pack the space between the
bearings with grease.  Refit the hub, spacer, shims, outer race, sealing
washer and nut.  Tighten the nut to a minimum of 40 ft lb, then to the next
split-pin hole (should be two in the spindle), which should be before 70 ft
lb, and insert a split-pin.  This *shouldn't* remove the end float.  Make
sure the play you are feeling is in the hub bearings and not anywhere else
like the king-pin bearings etc.