[Mgs] Re. Brake Failure, now Left foot/Right Foot Braking

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:20:32 MDT 2010

Paul Hunt wrote:
> The people who have been having trouble with Toyotas over the last
> year or so have almost certainly been driving automatics for many
> years before.  The Toyota problem seems to be far more serious,
> although precisely what still doesn't seem to be clear.  The most
> recent thing I have read on the subject is that Toyota claim from the
> analysis of a number of 'black boxes' recovered from crashed cars (!),
> that the drivers didn't brake at all.  That beggars belief, and even
> the company putting it out as a cause is almost believable, in that
> they expect us to believe it.  Either that, or the human race is
> getting far more stupid than ever I had believed.

I have known of a number of incidents where the driver was riding with
his right foot lightly resting on the brake pedal, while either being
towed on a rope or gliding down a hill. When an emergency appeared,
the driver did what he would normally do, which is to move the foot
one pedal to the left and hit the "brake," which in this case was the
clutch.

-Rocky Frisco